
Why it's fake (or at least not completely authentic).
- canned, not fresh, fire-roasted green chiles
- no potatoes in the recipe. My 7 year old detests all potatoes, so I left them out. If you don't live with an irrational potato-hater, I recommend cutting up some red potatoes and adding them. They sop up the grease and are really just a classic ingredient for green chile stew.
- It's made in a crock pot. But, you could just as easily make it on the stove top (bring to a boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes). This afternoon, I held a three-hour Odyssey of the Mind practice with my group of 2nd graders and needed dinner to cook unattended. That, and my brain hurt afterwards (my team is all verbal, all the time), so it was mighty helpful that dinner was already prepared. Otherwise, it would have been call-up the pizza man believe-you-me.
So, with that ringing endorsement of me telling you what's wrong the recipe, you're probably wondering why I'm even posting it. It's very easy, family-friendly and the results are delicious. It got thumbs up from the whole family. It took about 20 minutes to prepare, and that's quicker than heating up something frozen. I'll definitely make this one again. It's just not completely 100% authentic...
1 cup diced onions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 7-oz cans green chiles, mild or medium, depending on your preference (my kids mandate mild)
3 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 beef stew meat, cubed into 3/4 inch pieces
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
Sear stew meat in a hot skillet with the oil. Place onions and garlic in the bottom of the crock pot. Add the green chiles and then the bacon. Place the meat on top of that mixture. In a separate bowl, mix the tomato, beef broth and seasonings. Adjust seasonings to taste. Pour on top of the meat.
Cook on low for 6 hours or so. Serve with warmed tortillas. You may add condiments such as pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded cheese or avocado as desired.
1 comment:
Thanks for the recipe! I printed this off so I can stop on the way home from work tomorrow for the ingredients. Can't wait to try this!
Post a Comment