random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

If It's Wednesday, There Must Be Kale

We joined a CSA, which stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, you give a local farmer seed money up front, and then you share in his harvest. You also share in the risk of flood, drought, pestilence and assorted other natural disasters. Our reward? Farm-fresh produce, raised less than 75 miles away from my house. On Tuesday, it's in the fields, on Wednesday it's sitting in my kitchen. You really can't get any fresher than that. All organic, all locally-grown.

This is our fourth week of receiving produce. I thought it might be amusing to share what was in the basket this week. It's been changing weekly.

3 pounds of red potatoes
1 pound of button mushrooms
10 of the spiciest radishes ever
Bunch of kale
20 carrots
3 giant Texas sweet onions
a big bag of triple-washed baby salad mix (I am already addicted to this mix)
1 absolutely humongous cucumber
head of broccoli
one yellow squash, one zucchini

No beets this week, for which I am kind of grateful. One of the reasons I wanted to join was to force myself to try different foods, and beets have always been one of my yuck foods. So, I'm happy I tried it, but I still am not in love.

Last week, there was so much kale, I didn't know what to do. I made stir-fried kale with garlic; and a baked potato and kale dish and then I was about out of ideas. So, who knows what I'll try this week--there's a recipe on the internet for baked kale chips that apparently people eat like potato chips, but I'm (to quote Tim Gunn) dubious.

Anyway, if anyone has any absolutely to-die for kale recipes, please feel free to share them. My kids are likely to go on a no-veggie strike if I try to serve kale again too soon, but if it's a kid-friendly recipe, so much the better.

7 comments:

Mama Cache said...

Here's our recipe for kale smoothies:

In a blender -- add in order:
• 2 frozen bananas
• as much kale as you can stuff around the bananas
• orange juice to the fill line

Blend and blend. It's bright green, but it does not taste like kale. ;-)

If you own a Vita-mix, then you won't have any kale bits floating to the top!

Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Kale soup shows up at a lot of potlucks around here and is always popular.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=080

-CC Lightning Bug

Anonymous said...

I love kale. Here is my
Scottish Kale potato soup.

In a large stock pot put:
2-3 large potatoes, cubed
any type of sausage, cut half inch circles
1-2 bunches of kale, torn in bite size
enough chicken broth or water with chicken bullion to cover everything

Cook until potatoes are tender.

Ona Journey

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Wow! That's a lot of produce!

I'd like to know what the up-front cost was and if there is anything like that around here...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Just found this web site, for those interested in CSA:
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Ona Journey

Laura said...

Thanks ona journey. We so far really like our CSA. We pay about $30 a week in the end for a large amount of produce.

Our seasons will probably be different than other areas of the country.

Anonymous said...

Kale doused with a rich cheese sauce. Add some potatoes (boiled or roast or fried) for carbs, or maybe pasta, depending what their tastes are.

If that isn't child-friendly (assuming your kids can run off the calories), then I don't know what is.