Summer produce. Yum.
Thanks to a sweet friend (hi Vicky!), we had some lovely Fredericksburg peaches hand-delivered to us when we were in Austin. I had dreams of a cobbler, but we sort of fell on them like hungry fruit-starved wolves and ate them right out of the bag (all four of us like peaches).
We're not doing our CSA this spring/summer, so I ventured over to a farmer's market this weekend. Local corn and some heirloom tomatoes. More peaches, and some lovely local blueberries. Blueberries for a cobbler; peaches to eat. A few of the peaches got a little too ripe, so I wanted to cook with them.
As an aside, I also bought a gazpacho at the market...I've been craving gazpacho. I usually make my own, and I sort of had all the ingredients, but I couldn't resist the already-assembled variety. This one was different than the type I make--the chunks were bigger and it used raw corn. Different, and good; Paul and I ate it right up. My soup uses carrots and a bit of tomato juice and balsamic vinegar--this one was carrot-free and was kind of in a watery, but spicy broth. There are probably a million different gazpacho recipes.
Anyway, back to the peaches. Tonight's dinner was pan-sauteed pork chops with a peach-adobo sauce. The peaches break down and form a sauce...and the chipotle peppers (only two) add a bit of perk without the kids noticing too much of a bite.
What's your favorite summer produce and how do you use it?
random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I gotta say, peaches are my fave and nothing beats eating them all by themselves! But peach pie or cobbler is the next best thing. At Rice, Bellmotel and I would always round up any leftover peach crisp for dinner in the dorm when they served it so we could have our own personal stash in the fridge at the end of the hall. Yummmm.
-D
I'm glad you all loved the Fredericksburg peaches! I remember gaining way too much weight my freshman year at Rice, eating all that peach crisp. Astro D had to make me go buy some bigger pants! -- Vicki Bell Motel
Post a Comment