random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dreaming of....

Indian food today.

So here's another little secret about me. I love to read cookbooks. I read them like novels, although with a bit more flipping around. I get ideas; I look at how people put together recipes. And then, I don't follow them. I am a little-of-this, a little-of-that cook....I taste and I adjust. So, oftentimes I go in the kitchen with a general idea of ingredients, and end up with a totally different dish. That happened last night when I ended up with an orange-and-curried vegetables with pork over noodles that somehow started out as pork chops. Don't ask me how and I couldn't recreate it if asked.

Today, I sat down with a new book I bought myself as a treat for my recent birthday: An Invitation to Indian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey. She's well-known for making Indian cooking understandable and doable for American cooks. This is sort of her classic book, written in the early 70s that turned a whole generation of Americans onto Indian food. I'm looking forward to learning more about the specific spicing and techniques of Indian cooking. I'm an avid consumer of it at restaurants, but I think food prepared at home is much healthier and more economical. I already make a yogurt-marinated tandoori type baked chicken that the kids love, so I'm hopeful that their palates will stretch even further with some of these recipes as inspiration.

I thought I'd share some of my favorite cookbooks. I'd love to hear what inspires you in your kitchen too.

Greene on Greens. This is just one of my favorite books ever. There is a roasted asparagus recipe in this book, that I make often (like everything it's modified). Trim asparagus, sprinkle with salt and olive oil and add grated parmesan (the good stuff) over the top. Roast in a preheated 450 degree oven until done (depends on the size of the aspargus). It is darn delicious. There is also a corn flan in there that is a decadent only-at-the-holidays treat. I am always trying to expand the vegetable repertoire around here, so this book provides good suggestions.

New Vegetarian Cuisine. This is a collection of colorful vegetarian recipes that I love to browse through. My oldest son went through a period of about a year where he didn't want to eat animal meat. This book was a godsend. He's back eating meat, but I still make a few of these recipes as we try to go meatless at least two nights a week.

Lee Bailey's Country Deserts. The exception to my no-recipe policy is deserts. Baking is a science and I don't mess around with that. I love the crisps, cobblers and ice creams in this book. It was a wedding present 18 years ago and I still use it to this day.

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence. By Amy Sedaris. Buy this book. Just buy it. So funny and interesting recipes too.


A few others that I refer to often: Comfortable Entertaining by Natalie Dupree, Cuisine Rapide by Peter Franey, The Great American Seafood Cookbook, and Kids Cook! for when I have helpers.

There's a special place in my heart for Junior League cookbooks, especially those from smaller towns and cities. St. Louis Days/St. Louis Nights is one of my favorites, but I treasure those from Savannah, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, and Monroe, LA among others. I just think fundraising cookbooks, with their contributions from all and sundry, are just an anthropological treasure trove. Unlike a professionally authored cookbook, usually the fundraising cookbooks are desperate for enough recipes. As a result, there are great passed-down-for-generations recipes in those books and there are ones that just make you go....huh? As in, who would eat that? In particular, there's a book from the Houston Jr. League that is permanently stuck in 1960 (hey, but at least I know where to turn for 100 kinds of casseroles). The Houston Jr. League has a new, fancier, cookbook that actually uses fresh herbs, but I'm strangely partial to the time-warp of mushroom soup cuisine. It's a glimpse into an era where people dressed up for dinner and tried to impress each other with a stunning number of variations of stuff-on-crackers.

And finally, I'm giving a shout-out to Seasons of Santa Fe. I enjoyed this cookbook even before I knew that my friend and fellow letterboxer AstroD was a volunteer for Kitchen Angels, the maker of this book. There are even a couple of her recipes inside, but she'll have to tell you which ones. Like the best of the fundraising cookbooks, your purchase of their cookbook (and it's a good one if you like Southwestern Food) goes to support their mission of providing meals to those facing illness and challenges.


I have some other food-related thoughts, especially about my increased efforts to eat local food, but I'll save those for another post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading cookbooks, too :o)
I really enjoy reading very very old cookbooks--like over 100 years old :o). I am lucky to have my dh's grandmother's recipe box full of yellowed, well-used recipe cards.

My favorite all-time cookbook is More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre. It is truely a "from scratch" cookbook...It tells you how to make almost anything you would ever need---from scratch, including soap and cottage cheese.

I also very much enjoy Korean cooking and have several Korean cookbooks.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of those "community fund raising" cookbooks that are full of family favorite recipes.

Last but not least, I have just discovered the Cooking for Two magazine and have found some wonderful recipes that are making our empty-nest meals a lot more interesting and a lot less wasteful:o).

I love it when all my kids and their families come home for a family meal---I like to cook for a crowd. I LOVE to bake and I get to make all the family birthday cakes and have a blast doing that. They tell me what kind of cake they want (i.e. Star Wars, Elmo, CARS movie, White Chocolate Strawberry, etc) and I research it online to find all the info I need to create the perfect cake.

My favorite thing to bake is **pie**. It might be my favorite thing to eat, too :o)

Queen Mother from AQ

John and Diane said...

I have thought about getting that Madhur Jaffrey cookbook so I'd like to know how you like it! Off the top of my head - I love Rick Bayless' Mexican cookbooks. Some recipes are complicated (the moles) but he often givs shortcuts and there are easier recipes too. And I often find myself picking up a Cooking Light magazine at the store- eating healthy does not have to be tasteless! I've gotten some great recipes from there. And I have a fondness for Emeril for New Orleans food (which I miss from growing up there) although I think he uses to much salt!
And - please post on local eating! My 2 most fave recent books were Animal Vegetable Miracle and The Omnivore's Dilemma, I think everyone should read those books!
-D

Anonymous said...

Another cookbook junky here. Like Queen Mother, I enjoy the fund raising cookbooks, and also like the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks for good family-friendly recipes.

My mother told me about the asparagus recipe, and it's one of our favorites too.

But since hubby was diagnosed with congestive heart failure this summer, we've been trying out a lot of low-sodium recipes at our house. Dick Logue as a great source of low-sodium recipes online at http://www.LowSodiumCooking.com.

SandiBox