Honestly, who doesn't love the Olympics? And for those of us who toiled away in "minor" sports, it's fun to see them get a small modicum of attention. And so it is right now, where I am watching a men's field hockey match between Pakistan and Great Britain. Yes, field hockey. On TV. They must be seriously desperate to fill some programming hours. But, I love watching them play at an elite level.Sure, swimming and track get the spotlight, but here's a salute to those who rarely see fame and fortune for their sport, defining what it means to be an amateur athlete (because I can't imagine at least in the US that there are many field hockey sponsorship deals. Pakistan maybe).
And, FYI, I was a starter on my high school's field hockey team for three years, team captain and MVP for two. My public high school perennially got smashed by the stronger teams fielded by all-girls Catholic schools in our area (and better coached; we had to make do with a coach in name only--a gym teacher who had never seen, much less played, a game. We coached ourselves). Still, I loved playing and being part of a team and a few of my field hockey teammates are my good friends to this day.
The photo above is from Team USA's first match against powerhouse Argentina. They tied 2-2. For the American women, this was a stunning result. I hope the women get some TV time too.
No comments:
Post a Comment