random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Weary

That's just kind of how I am. Weary and a bit exhausted mentally. I haven't been sleeping well and that probably adds to my feelings.

Don't get me wrong. I know how lucky we are to have someplace to stay and a way to get out of the heat and humidity of a Houston non-fall. My sister has been fabulous, and been a great host and incredibly hospitable and welcoming. We had a nice outing to the Botanical Gardens with a friend here in town.

But, we're all tired. We'd all like to be back in our normal routine as much as possible and there's not been that much progress towards one. There's still no strong estimate about the power at our house; the power restoration in our area has been non-existent. We do find out today at 5pm whether the kids will start school Thursday or next Monday.

Anyway, I'm feeling kind of blue and down this afternoon. That doesn't happen to me that often and I'm trying to shake myself out of it. I thought perhaps blogging those feelings would help me figure out what's at the root of them and how to feel better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dewberry!

I hope you get to feeling better soon and that life gets back to normal for you and your family.

Lucy Locket

Anonymous said...

I've noticed the last few days that a lot of people share your feelings. It's mentally and physically exhausting to have your routine disrupted for such a long period of time.

And unfortunately, in a lot of cases, the frustration is turning to anger. I've seen several "cat fights" break out at work. And SoccerChik witnessed a woman get arrested the other night at Jack-in-the-Box because her milkshake had too much milk and not enough shake. To someone who's been without power for a week, a runny milkshake just might be the last straw.

It gives me a whole new appreciation for what the people in New Orleans experienced a few years ago. And empathy for my neighbors who are still without power.

Let me know if hubby needs a place to cool off for a few hours, or to do some laundry, or eat a home cooked meal.

SandiBox

John and Diane said...

Hi dewberry-
Heck, I miss my "nest" and my routine sometimes even at the end of a vacation and you're a far stretch from being on vacation. There's nothing like curling up at home with a good book and nesting when you're stressed and you can't do it! Hopefully you'll get the electricity back soon and school will start and life will get back to some semblance of normal. Can't imagine what Houston is like right now. Wishing you and all the Houstonians all the best-
D

Blue Butterfly said...

Dewberry,
I hope today was a better day. Here's hoping you get back home soon :)

Blue Butterfly

Anonymous said...

Sending you lots of hugs. Hope you get power soon!
Ona Journey