random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Random Violence

The thing about random violence is that it is random, and it is violent. It is also devastating and unbelievably unsettling. And because it is about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can't do much about preventing it. You just have to deal with the consequences after the fact.

My family learned this horrid lesson this week an awful way when my aunt was brutally assaulted, although in her case, it turned out the wrong place was her own front yard and the wrong time was late afternoon.

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the type of person who could commit such a senseless and inhumane act. I can comprehend the carjacking and the purse-stealing, but I just can't process the brutality of such a severe beating and assault of a nearly 70 year old woman. I just can't imagine the depravity of someone who could do that to someone's grandmother.

That is the terror of random violence.

7 comments:

John and Diane said...

Oh dewberry-
that is just awful awful awful. So sorry to hear this.
-D

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

I am sooo very sorry. There is a special place in hell for those that commit brutality against the vulnerable.

:-(

Lucy Locket said...

DB,

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I whole heartedly agree with Hendel about there being a special place in hell for those types of people.

Lucy Locket

Blue Butterfly said...

Dewberry,
How terrible! So sorry to hear about this. I hope your Aunt will recover quickly. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Blue Butterfly

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope your aunt recovers quickly, in all ways. -- Bell Motel

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. It is very sad and also very scary....as I am approaching that vulnerable age myself.

Jimmy said...

I'm outraged that this happened. The reason you and I can't wrap our brains around why someone would do this is because we are reasonable people.

We would have to think like the person that committed the assault to comprehend the "why" of it.