random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Life is Too Short for Mediocre Coffee

Meatballs are in the oven, so I have a few minutes to type rapidly while they cook.

  • Wednesdays are a hugely busy day for me, so it helps to have dinner made in the morning. I am of the school of pre-cooking onions for the meatballs/meatloaf. I think it gets the moisture out and helps your meat creations stick together. Others put the onions in raw. I believe this is wrong but it's not a criminal offense and wouldn't be a barrier to our friendship.
  • I have been drinking store brand coffee to try and save a little money. There was a trip to the ER and some dental work and I was trying to keep the month's budget balanced. I use the HEB brand (our local store) and I have to say, it's better than a lot of cheap coffees around. But, I don't look forward to my morning cup. It's more of an okay, hmm, coffee's ready. Not an anticipatory pleasure of the first sip. I rate it a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. So, today I treated myself to local roasted coffee (within the last month) that I just love. Maybe that's not somewhere where I can shave off money? Anyway, suggestions of delicious cheap coffee to try would be welcome because I'll brew anything at least once.
  • I tried this recipe from Pioneer Woman. Thumbs up all around from the crew here. Only difference was that I used the thinly sliced chicken breast offered at my store rather than pounding larger breasts.
  • I sometimes have to chuckle with the way husbands and wives use the same language for widely different results. To me, doing the dishes means rinsing them and putting them in the dishwasher, culminating in turning on the dishwasher if it is full. To my husband, doing the dishes means rinsing the dishes and stacking them in the right side of the sink. He must think there's a dish fairy who magically comes in the morning and puts them in the dishwasher. Oh wait, I guess there is. Of course, to be fair, my idea of doing laundry means doing the washing and drying. Not the folding. That's a separate job and is pretty much his in our household. That's what he gets for being an engineer who can fold precisely and letting me know early on that I didn't measure up. Instead, an armchair full of clean clothes awaits his return from work. Of course, putting up the clothes is considered a third job and is pretty much up for grabs.
And now my house smells of deliciously browned meatballs. Must get back to real life. I miss you my friends!!!!

4 comments:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

oh yeah...I miss you, my friend!

Onions must be sauted or perhaps even carmelized prior to insertion into any other cooked entree...yep! I'm with ya there!

From another wife who married an engineer, I don't do much cooking for the same reasons you don't fold laundry. It works out quite nicely, actually. And, I'm thinkin' they must teach that in school somehow about the 'doing the dishes' thing. Wet stacks of dishes to the right of the sink is an interesting phenom...

{{hugs}}

~Liz :-)

Anonymous said...

We visited friends last week who stack the clean (really clean) dishes in the LEFT side of the sink, and we really screwed up their whole system! -- Vicki Bell Motel

Jimmy said...

Well,I live alone and I don't have a dishwasher. I do dishes and laundry. I also iron my clothes and hang them,so there. :)

I also roast my own coffee beans.

Anonymous said...

There is only one grocery-store brand of coffee that doesn't give me an allergic migraine, and that is Millstone. All the others are full of chemicals. I think it tastes really good, too. I believe that Randall's carries it. -- Vicki Bell Motel