random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dinner menus

There's a blog I like a lot, which has a really simple premise. It's called This Week for Dinner, and people post their weekly menus.

For some reason, back to school really feels like the beginning of a new year. It's manifesting as a combination of resolutions and spring cleaning. To start it off right, we've been cleaning and organizing. My 8th grader's desk is clean and I've thrown out a mountain of old papers and seriously old things from my pantry (expiration date of 2005 anyone?).

Part of that resolution, is an ongoing recommitment to cooking and eating at home. Eating out or grabbing fast food is a serious money and health suck. So I like that idea of planning out a menu and posting it for the world to see, even if it's anonymous.

Here's mine for the week--with weekend extra meals added on.

Sunday:
breakfast: Waffles with fresh peaches.
lunch: turkey wraps
dinner potroast, cooked in the crock pot with beef broth, onion soup mix and crushed canned tomatillos. The meat is shredded and then served in jus as sliders. Sides were home made potato salad, arugula in a light vinaigrette and canteloupe

Monday:
The first night of soccer practice. The boys practice 15 miles apart. Fun. Dinner is to be eaten in shifts.
Beef, vegetable and ravioli soup with sourdough.

Tuesday:
Salmon, glazed carrots, couscous salad. I love this side salad (and so does my 10 year old). Cook one cup of Israeli couscous (or pearl) according to directions. Finely dice one medium granny smith apple and toss with lemon. Add 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries. Toss in a vinaigrette. You may also add pine nuts, shaved parmesan or crumbled feta or goat cheese. If you add chicken it moves from side to main course.

Wednesday:
Beef & green chile quesadillas

Thursday:
Slow cooker chicken and eggplant curry served over rice.

Friday:
I am going to make a homemade pizza dough and make pizza and pizza bites to freeze for later.

Saturday:
Breakfast: Mini stratas (bread, egg, cheese and ham) cooked in muffin tins. Fruit.
Lunch: Probably sandwiches
Dinner: Out or leftovers.

So that's it. If I have any readers left, you're welcome to leave suggestions/ideas/your menu in the comments.

I've changed my twitter handle, so feel free to find me @caffein8dchica. I'm also starting to play with pinterest. I think I've pinned 5 things so far. You can find me under the above twitter handle or by my name.

3 comments:

Mama Cache said...

I'm moving in with all of you. I'm going to show this to my children (who do the lion's share of the cooking around here). Oh, this humbles me.

Here's to a great year for you -- yes, the new year begins about now for me, too


usually.

Laura said...

MC, you're funny.

Actually, I do cook. All the time. That I love. I hate the dishes though.

John and Diane said...

It all sounds delish. I do a chicken couscous main dish salad that has lemon juice, olive oil, green onions, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, parsley. I must try it as a side with the apples and cranberries, that sounds summery and lovely.