Well, early voting has started in Texas (runs February 19-29), so along with it come the calls. I was invited to a Bill Clinton rally today (at 9:45 pm...um, no thanks...I think I may be too old to even feign enthusiasm that late in the day), and have had calls in English and in Spanish reminding me to vote and suggesting which candidate to vote for. The score is Hillary robo-calls 4; Barack Obama calls 2. Add to that, one Rick Noriega call (he may be the kind of Democrat that can win state-wide in Texas, which is exciting).
I think early voting is great, but I don't like to do it. In Texas, anytime during the early voting run, you can go by centralized early voting spots and cast your ballot. It's often quick, very efficient, and it's easy. But still, I don't like to do it.
Why? Some of my earliest memories of elections are of Election Day. I would go with my mother and crawl around on the floor as she voted. In those days you went into a curtained booth and it had such an awe-inspiring feeling to be in the booth with her. I remember all the signs and the sheer pageantry of the occasion. I remember my mother sobbing great gusts of sadness when McGovern lost in 1972 (I was five years old). All of those memories are tied up in what I think of when I think of Election Day.
Now, as an adult, I love to take my card and participate in this great democratic opera along with everyone else. I know most of my poll workers, because they're my neighbors. I see the same poll workers year after year. So, I say hey, and I stand in line and chat with those in front and those behind. And I look at the posted numbers to see how many people have voted. I just love being a participant on THE DAY. I have voted early, and it's fine, but it just doesn't have the same solemnity or aura as voting on Election Day.
Kids today don't get election day off. They see participatory democracy at work in their schools, but it's hard for them to be as part of the voting experience as I was. When my kids were younger, they'd come with me, but now I usually go vote while they're in school.
So, this year for the primary and for the general, I'm considering voting early. My oldest son, at 10, is more interested in this election than he has been in any other. I want him to be able to go with me and vote. So, if I go early, we can go on a Saturday or another time and he can stand with me at the machine and together we can cast my ballot. Because I want him to have those same memories and that same sense of pride in the whole electoral process that I do.
That's why I may vote early.
random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Couldn't he go with you after school on Election Day? That way he gets to go, and you don't have to miss all the fun.
Obama still hasn't called me, I'm beginning to get hurt feelings. Hillary called again this morning, so that is 8 total calls in two days. Oh, when oh when will he call? I feel like a teenager again. MO5
Post a Comment