random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The speed of information: zoom-zoom!

So, yesterday I was working out at the gym, listening to music on my nifty personal satellite radio and watching the TVs just for something to do. A local station ran a story about a political protest, 1000 Prairie View A&M students marching to vote in Waller County.

I thought it was a neat story, very inspiring and positive, so I went home and read a little more about it and did some slightly more in-depth research. I thought others should know, so I wrote a quick little piece.

Then, I posted it on dailykos (a liberal blog site) as a diary. People found it interesting...and started commenting. This piece started getting picked up and linked elsewhere.

First, on burnt orange report. And then on Texas Kaos. Both of these are Texas-based blogs, so it's very appropriate. But, somehow, this story had some legs, which I think is a good thing. It's a good, powerful story and I think those kids did a great thing. But, it's been odd today to watch my piece be picked up a bunch of places. It's now linked to from several national blogs, like one that's part of Time Magazine online. And then this afternoon by Politico.

I've had paid pieces published in national magazines before. But the time between writing, submitting, getting approval and receiving the magazine in the mail with my piece in it is many, many months. It's just been interesting for me to watch this story zing around in the space of a day. Some of it is uncredited, about which I care very little. The students are the story here. I'm thrilled by their efforts and their story should get out.

No comments: