random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Gas Prices & Behavior

I heard an interesting radio interview yesterday on NPR. Someone from Consumer Reports was on and their new issue has a study they did about the benefits of switching to a more fuel-efficient car. Turns out that economically, your cost per mile driven is often significantly lower if you keep the car you have rather than prematurely trading it in for a more fuel-efficient vehicle, even with gas around $4 a gallon. There are of course a fair number of qualifiers and it depends on your individual situation. This result was fairly counter-intuitive, and I don't think it matches up with a lot of folks' perceptions. I think we automatically assume that a more fuel-efficient car will be cheaper (and it is, over the long-run).

Anyway, the whole thing got me wondering about if we've finally reached the point where we can begin to make national energy policy decisions and individual consumption decisions based on something other than cheap oil.

On the one hand, expensive gasoline is definitely a hardship for many people, putting a pinch in the family budget (along with the more expensive food prices). But, people are ingenious and they begin to find ways to cope--carpooling, mass transit, biking to work, reducing trips, etc.--that are actually more planet-friendly choices. And when it is time to get a new car, people are definitely opting for smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Here's Memorial Day, with the official kick-off to the summer driving season, and I'm wondering if high gas prices are affecting your summer plans? We have a long road trip planned, and I've had to be somewhat more careful about lodging and other expenses to compensate. But so far, that's about the extent of it.

What's the price point where you will see a seismic shift in behavior? I'm thinking it's $5 a gallon. I wonder when we'll get there.

2 comments:

John and Diane said...

Here in Santa Fe, I know that some of my friends who live out of town a ways like I do have started limiting their trips into town because of the expense (one friend figured it cost him $7 each time he drove his truck to town and back). And on a similar note, have you heard about the skyrocketing price of electricity in Juneau, Alaska? Some major power line was knocked out by an avalanche this winter and elec prices have gone up something like 300-400%. Everyone is doing everything they can to save on their suddenly-huge electric bill and consumption has gone down something like 33%. Interesting.
-D

Kaaren said...

We've had a road trip planned for a while for this summer. Florida to Ohio, over to Michigan, then back to Florida. But now, I am REALLY not wanting to go. The prices are freaking me out. David is very adamant about going, but I am Mrs-Saves-A-Lot and am scard to spend the $$. *sigh*

Kaaren (perusing blogs on AQ)
DavidandKaaren