random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

On addictions

I have never really been a smoker, a drug user or a gambler (other than the normal amount of experimentation) and I'm not a big drinker. But for more than 25 years, I had one constant addiction: soda. My drug of choice was originally diet coke, and later diet dr. pepper. I had soda just about every day from the time I was 13. I don't want to think how many cans that adds up to, but it is of course well into the tens of thousands.

Then, last year, I had a series of stomach and intestinal issues and I was playing around with my diet. I was trying to figure out if there was some food I should eliminate to make myself feel better. Turned out the suspect substance wasn't a food, but a beverage, aka soda. So, for six months, I have generally been off soda. And I feel better. Significantly better. Usually.

I have relapses (had one last week) and always, the stomach issues return. So pure logic would dictate that I stay off the stuff. But logic and a more-than-25 year habit don't always co-exist happily in one's brain. Right now there's diet coke in the fridge (because my sister was visiting this weekend) and it's calling me. So I made a big cup of iced tea and am writing this blog entry to avoid answering that call.

It makes me much more sympathetic to smokers who, in the face of medical evidence and their own diminished lung capacity, can't quite seem to kick the habit. I'm not sure I ever really understood that disconnect before.

1 comment:

Peas on Earth said...

It does seem intuitive that you would lay off the soda ... forever. But, I think we all have something in our lives that we know we would be better off avoiding, but that calls to us much like that diet coke. I hope you resisted! :-)

I think the only way I could have resisted would have been to open it and pour it into the sink as fast as humanly possible ... before I changed my mind! :-)