random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Portable Kitchen

I have a list and I'm trying to decide what to bring with us to Austin. I get to cook Thanksgiving Dinner at my sister's house. My sister is single and hasn't accumulated nearly the kitchen tools and basics I have, many of which I rely on daily, but some just for special occasions. I'm trying to decide what HAS to come with me.

The Kitchen Aid mixer I opted to leave at home. Even though I really want it when it I make the meringue, I think I can get by with her hand mixer if I chill the bowl. So, I'm bringing a metal mixing bowl to be safe.

The giant roasting pan and turkey rack have to come, as well as the large stockpot for brining the turkey. The roasting thermometer is a must as well--overcooked turkey is blech.

Some 13x9 pans (she only has one), a casserole and a deep dish pie pan are in the pile. As well as the ring that goes along the edge of the pie to keep the crust from over-baking.

A potato masher, a baster, a microplane grater (this is the best invention ever; everyone should have one). Should I put my favorite kitchen knife in the box? I am undecided on that (surely she has knives?), but just to be sure I put a knife sharpener in the box. Add to that, some of my favorite silicone spatulas and the gravy whisk (yes, there is a specific whisk for gravy) which are already in the box.

Now spices. Sage, thyme, cornstarch, allspice, nutmeg, cream of tartar--why ask her to buy those things when she'll never use them again?

Most of the recipes are in my head, but I'm making corn pudding, which I don't make very often, so that book is in the box. I already made cornbread this morning, so it's in a gallon bag in the box as well. It just gets crumbled up for the dressing, so no problem if it gets smashed.

And, finally, the egg poacher. My seven year old asked to please bring this as he loves poached eggs and eats them for breakfast and the occasional snack. It's small and it fits nicely inside the giant stockpot. Wondering if there's room in the car for the whirly pop. Over the hurricane, we brought it and used it nearly every day. It's way better than microwave popcorn.

Anyway, it's a whirl of activity and now it's time to decide what kid-stuff needs to come. I wonder what time we'll be ready to leave? And how full will the car be?

2 comments:

John and Diane said...

Have fun! And yes, I think you should take that favorite knife. I hate trying to cook here at my mom's without my favorite chef's knife. I bought a cheap one to use when I'm here but it's not the same.
-D

Lucy Locket said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you Dewberry! Sounds like your dinner is going to be spectacular.

Lucy Locket