
I wanted to make pumpkin bread this morning. And I did (see recipe below). I know folks have been ranting about hidden product shrinkage...when companies reduce the size of their container so they don't have to charge more. But they are effectively charging you more because you get less. Well, let me add my voice. Do you know that pretty much every single pumpkin recipe in the universe calls for two cups (16 oz) of canned pumpkin? Yep, at least every one I found in my highly unscientific search this morning. Do you know why? Because a 16-ounce can has been the standard, at least as long as I can remember.
But do you know what you'll find if you buy one can of pumpkin now? 15 ounces. That's right. A can of Libby's is no longer 16 ounces; it's 15. It's not really any big deal, I guess, in that I couldn't taste any difference between 16 ounces and 15 ounces of pumpkin in the recipe, but it just seems "not right." On their website, Libby's has gone and changed their recipes to further camouflage the change -- but I'm telling you, it should be 16 ounces of pumpkin.
Anyway, this is a great recipe. My kids and husband don't like nuts, so they really like the smooth texture of this bread.
Pumpkin Tea Bread
Makes 2 loaves
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (16 oz) canned pumpkin
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Bake at 350 degrees until done (about 50 minutes).
Recipe from Saint Louis Days/Saint Louis Nights
Speaking of pumpkin bread, I like this recipe from Libby's too...I'm a big fan of cranberries and buy extra when they're in season and stick them in the freezer to use all year. I have a great cranberry coffee cake recipe that I get a craving for occasionally.
No comments:
Post a Comment