School starts next week. We're trying to get on a more school-friendly sleep schedule than the later nights and sleepy mornings we've been indulging in over the course of the summer.
My older son is a morning person. He has been going to lacrosse camp this week, which means he needs to be at the junior high at 7:30 am. This hasn't been a problem for him, as he's been up by 6:15 every morning this week. Thanks to lacrosse, soccer and the 90-degree plus heat, he's been going to sleep fairly easily too--completely zonked out at 8:30 pm last night.
My younger son is a night owl. He has trouble sleeping at night, and he likes nothing more than to stay in bed until 9 am, drowsily waking up and lolling in bed. So to acclimate him, I've been getting him up 15 minutes earlier each morning. Today was 7:30...tomorrow 7:15...then 7:00....until we hit the 6:45 that is required if he is to leave the house at 7:20 for school.
Shifting away from summer is brutal for us all. I was asleep myself at 9:30 last night because I've been getting up at 6am to get the lacrosse stuff ready. I love the lazier tempo of summer and I'm mourning it coming to an end. Summer is hot and sultry around here, but that just adds to the slower pace of our life that I find so enjoyable during those months.
random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's so nice to hear a parent feel that way and not just us teachers.
-Screw
Screw,
We love summer! I think my kids need to go to school, and I like and respect the teachers at both schools. But I love the emptiness and the chance to enjoy the small things that comes with summer.
dewberry
Post a Comment