random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

What's in your Tuna

Nope, this isn't a post about mercury.

I love to be adventurous in my food choices. New cuisines, new flavors, unusual foods, surprising combinations. Bring all that on!

But tuna salad I like just how I learned to make it when I was 7 (I'm pretty sure my 9 year old can't make anything; I've failed here). Tuna, drained. Chopped up hard boiled egg, pickle relish and mayo (just enough to combine, not enough to be gloppy). My aunt liked to put apple and celery in. Yuck. I can tolerate grapes and pecans. But when I make it, it's the same as it ever was. Except for the fact that I have switched from miracle whip to real mayo. The only change in 35 years. And it tastes good.

So what's in your tuna?

6 comments:

John and Diane said...

I'm a mayo, relish, and celery girl. I make it the same as my mom did, too. I love hard boiled eggs so I would like that but it's not something I have lying around all the time and my tuna is usually not pre-planned enough to have the eggs ready!
-D

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Tuna, MW, chopped dill pickles and minced onion. Mmmmm.... Mom's recipe. :-)

Lisa said...

dolphin?

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing as Lisa and Robb when I saw the title of this post. I'm reminded of a Seinfield episode, "They're dying in the nets!"

I can't stand tunafish. Hubby likes it with Mac N Cheese.

Claudia

MichKathy said...

Go back to Miracle Whip! :-)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I make tuna salad from a recipe I found once: tuna, a can of green peas, mayo, and savory. Yummy!
-- Vicki Bell Motel