random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Frothiness for Saturday

You wouldn't think you'd be able to get a whole blog out of one food item, but you'd be wrong. The folks behind cupcakes take the cake regularly (several times a day) post about their favorite food, cupcakes! The interesting thing is that it makes for fascinating reading. When you're dedicated to one subject, you can really tackle it in full. For some reason, I am fascinated with this blog, and read it regularly. It's kind of interesting, because not only am I not even a huge cupcakeaholic, I don't often eat dessert.

We've got two of those trendy "cupcake boutiques" near us. These are Houston-grown bakeries who mainly (or only) serve cupcakes. I haven't tried either one. You can get all sorts of unusual flavors, including things like eggnog, pumpkin, ginger lemon or red velvet. This is not your Kroger's chocolate cupcake with mounds of inedible icing spray-colored neon colors; they are definitely little mini works of art. So, perhaps because I'm such a devoted blog host, maybe I'll figure out if they're actually as delicious tasting as they look.

Sugarbaby's
Crave Cupcakes

And, it serves more than just cupcakes, but I'm going to give a plug to the Dessert Gallery, because it's been around for years. They have this old-fashioned chocolate diner cake that I think is perfection.

But, beware, local Houston cupcakeries, a chain from LA, Sprinkles, is muscling into town in the spring. Let the cupcake wars begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alright my friend... I AM a cupcakeaholic, and you really need to quit telling me about these places that shrink my wallet and expand my waistline (what's left of it!)

SandiBox