I really like the quiet time between Christmas and New Year. We put a lot of focus on the new year in our household (more on that in another post). There's something redemptive about the turning of the page, the chance to start afresh. And after this year, which had some amazing highs, but accompanying painful lows, I am ready for the new.
The last of our company left about an hour and a half ago. The four of us all seem to be in separate rooms reading, watching tv, playing games, or just piddling around. This feels very restful after the last week of company, prep and all that noise and commotion that comes with Christmas.
I had relatively bruising Christmas. Some long-ago family issues that I had thought were resolved and past came bubbling up to the surface. This is on top of the screaming fight that broke out at my mother-in-law's on Christmas Eve between a husband-and-wife guest (not relatives). As a result, there was just a lot of tension all around me. (I'd be more specific, but although I feel completely comfortable blogging my own issues, I don't want to share other people's). This situation, coupled with the real pain of seeing someone you love hurting, has just left me feeling raw and mentally fried.
So, I want to spend the next few days enjoying the healing company of my little family. If the weather cooperates, we'll be taking some walks in the woods. We'll play games. We'll watch movies. And I have a few enjoyable little art projects to work on as well.
We need some time to just be still.
random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment