random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Culture of Dishonesty

Well, I said I'd get personal on this blog, and how much more personal can you get than politics?

I am not loving Bill Clinton these days. When he was President, I stuck up for him (sometimes vigorously). But I hated that his inappropriate conduct, half-truths and mendacities made that defense necessary. By the time he left office, I was ready for him to go. (Of course, I wasn't prepared for the level of lies to come...but that's another post). In the intervening years, I could remember Bill fondly as he ran around doing things like working on global poverty issues, tsunami relief and the like. Very dignified, very appropriate (of course he's raking in the big bucks as a speaker and Director-for-hire), at least in the public eye.

And now this...slugfest...where he has thrown off that post-office dignified mantle and gotten down and dirty in the trenches, seemingly relishing every minute of the spotlight as nasty vitriol spews forth. And you know what? Every time he opens his mouth, I'm transported to that era when I defended someone who I hated having to defend, whose great promise was just about negated through his actions. I don't want to go back there. And I become more disheartened about the concept of a Hillary presidency, which I was never that keen on anyway, but had come to accept.

After the last sixteen years of shaded words and too many outright lies, I want it to stop.


Note: This is part of a much longer draft that I've written, but not posted, about my ambivalent feelings about HRC as a candidate. Please feel free to comment--agree or disagree with me, I'm good with that. Keep it civil. I'll edit or delete posts that aren't appropriate.

1 comment:

John and Diane said...

I can't keep an eye on politics too too closely because it really demoralizes me and all this fighting lately is a good example why. I too am conflicted about Hillary - when I take the online test to see which candidate I most closely agree with, it comes out as Hillary (over Obama). But she has done too much in the past to really irritate me. I don't think I can vote for her in the primary (next week for us).
-D