random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Black out!

Next Wednesday, the first graders are trying a social experiment. The kids have been asked to go the whole day using as close to no electricity as possible. What a cool idea--to try and boost awareness of the ways we consciously and unconsciously use energy.

No TV, no Wii--okay, great idea, check, check. Cold breakfast--check. Parents, we're asking you to not use your coffee makers in the morning. Huh? What? Can I make it? Wait until Mr. Dewberry figures out he's going to have to take a cold shower.

It's actually a fantastic, thought-provoking idea...and maybe after that day the kids will actually learn to turn off the lights and the TV.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should be an interesting day. I think I'd be bringing the Coleman stove into the house to make coffee in the morning though, there is only so much that can be done in the name of learning. MO5

Anonymous said...

Cold shower and then no coffee to warm you up.This is torture.
We need to call:
Parental Protective Service
I guess the shower might wake me up better than the coffee though?
Bailey's

Lisa said...

How did this work out?