random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

There's a reason they didn't share

Amazon.com used to never give out its customer service phone number. Today, I found it on their website pretty easily, but I have to say that the rep was spectacularly unhelpful.

I have spent 3 hours today dealing with the fall-out from an usurped credit card number. My credit card company was great; all our other accounts checked out clean. But more than $3,000 was charged, in a sequential series of charges, from amazon.com payments to the main credit card we use. I haven't ever used that service and haven't activated a payments account. But clearly someone else did, using some of our personal information. My credit card company readily removed the charges, canceled the account and did so promptly, efficiently and expediently. All I wanted was for amazon.com to make sure that there wasn't an open account in my name and if there was, to terminate it.

After 40 minutes the upshoot is that I'll be getting an email at some vague point in the future updating me on the status. Compared to the swift action of my credit card company, this is rather wan.

No comments: