This nomination season, with all the uncertainty that has come with it, has led to an overdose of political coverage. It started with the extended running-for-office season, beginning a year before the first actual primary or caucus. I think we're all sick of it, from those of us who follow politics closely (like me) to those who don't.
I'm a progressive, which means that I lean left. But, I also live in Texas, which is not exactly a blue state. So that means that I'm a pragmatist first and foremost (I also have an MBA, which means that fiscal responsibility is important too)--I don't pick on pure ideology. I have and will cross party lines to vote for the candidate that I feel will best represent the state and make some stabs at addressing the issues I care most about--education, fiscal responsibility, social justice and environmentalism.
I have voted in other elections in Missouri, but I've lived in Texas for every presidential election since I was old enough to vote in one (1988). I generally vote in the Democratic Primary. This year, Texas votes on March 4th, which in another year would have been the old super Tuesday, but because of the front-loaded season, was now thought to be way behind the curve. Usually, Super Tuesday didn't matter either--it had all been worked out by then. Because nominations are decided by the time its our turn, I always vote my favorite candidate, regardless of whether they have a chance of winning the nomination or not. In the primary at least, I don't have to make the choice between pragmatism and ideology.
There are some scenarios that lead to Texas votes still mattering this year. Wouldn't that be the kicker? What if in this, the longest election cycle in memory, what I call the street-sweeping primaries (those after the parade has long since gone by) were important and still mattered? I'd love to actually have a say in the process.
To me, that's one of the tenets of democracy--that each of our votes matter--that has been completely tossed aside by this crazy nominating process.
random thoughts from the mind of a progressive mom in Houston, struggling with parenting, politics, hot topics & more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congrats on your new blog! I've been wondering how I can work more random thoughts into my blog but so far haven't figured out how to hsndle it. In any case, thanks for listing it on AQ so it's easy to keep up with, always enjoy your posts!
-Astro D/ Diane
Post a Comment